5 STEPS TO GET THE AVPN CERTIFICATION
1) Review the rules and fill the application (click here)
2) Send all the documentation (click here) to VPN Americas (only the complete documentation will be considered) as email attachment at email@example.com . We suggest to post the video on YouTube and send the link.
3) The completed documentation will be revised by the Board of Directors of AVPN in Naples, Italy, that will approve or decline the request (this process will take at least 30 days).
4) In case of a negative response, we will inform you about the correction to be made and the new documentation to submit us. In case of approval, a delegate of the AVPN will conduct an inspection on site to verify the adherence to all the AVPN rules.
5) Upon approval the restaurant will receive the AVPN membership certificate and the exterior signage.
Certify your pizzeria or restaurant and join the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana.
1. Wood-burning oven. The real Neapolitan pizza must be cooked in a wood-fired dome oven operating
at a temperature of about 900 F. Gas, coal, electrical ,or wood/gas combined ovens, while capable to
produce a delicious pizza, do not conform to the Neapolitan tradition and are not allowed.
2. Proper Ingredients: Only fresh, all-natural, non-processed ingredients (preferably imported from Naples or Campania region) are acceptable:
a. wheat flour type "00": highly refined flour which has been milled to standard "00" (doppio zero). A small amount of wheat flour type "0" (Manitoba) is allowed to be added providing the percentage ranges from 5 to 20%. This variation is dependent on the external temperature and is used to enforce the '00' flour and not replace it.
b. Fresh tomatoes: the following variations of fresh tomatoes can be used: "S.Marzano dell'Agro Sarnese-nocerino D.O.P"., "Pomodorini di Corbara (Corbarino)", "Pomodorino del piennolo del Vesuvio" D.O.P." Canned Peeled tomatoes: the recommended tomato is the "Pomodoro pelato S.Marzano dell'Agro Sarnese-Nocerino D.O.P.". If peeled tomatoes are used they should be strained, broken up and homogenised by hand. The use of fresh or industrially prepared "Roma" tomatoes ("pomodoro lungo tipo Roma") is allowed.
c. Mozzarella: Certified mozzarella di bufala campana D.O.P, mozzarella S.T.G. (see attached appendices for suppliers and technical details). Fior di latte: "Fior di latte dell'appennino meridionale D.O.P" or other certified 'fiordilatte'.
d. Extra Vergin Olive oil (EVO).
e. Basil: Fresh Basil must be used.
f. Cheese: Grated Hard cheese must be used Fresh Garlic
g. Origano: "Origanum vulgare" from the "Labiatae" family.
h. Sea salt
i. Yeast: Compressed yeast, biologically produced, solid, soft and beige in colour ,with quite an insipid taste and a low degree of acidity must be used. Yeast must be purchased in packages ranging from 25-500 grams. (Saccharomices cerevisiae) (See Italian Decreto Ministeriale. 21/03/1973 e 18/06/1996). The use of Natural yeast (Sour Dough) is also permitted.
j. All types of fat must be excluded from the dough.
3. Proper technique for the preparation of the dough. Hand-worked or low speed mixer (fork or spiral). No planetary or vertical mixers are allowed.
4. Proper technique for the preparation of the pizza. Opening the dough only by hand and slapping on the working surface, transfer of the pizza on a peel by hand and adjusting the shape, cooking on an oven with a temperature of not less than 900° F for a time not exceeding the 90 seconds.
5. Proper Equipment. A proper work surface (usually a marble slab), a wood or aluminum pizza peel to introduce the pizza into the oven and a long handle metal round peel to turn and remove the pizza from the oven.
6. Final Product. Pizza Napoletana must be not larger than 11 inches with a raised edge crust of about 1 inch and a thin center. The pizza should be soft and elastic, and easily foldable.
7. Documentation. A set of documents, pictures and video need to be provided to the Association for the first preliminary evaluation (see below).
8. Others. In case of multiple restaurants, each individual store is bound to uphold the standards of the Association and pay a correspondent membership fee. The membership does not automatically be extended to any new units opened subsequently the joining of the Association, nor the membership is transferable from one location to another. Rather, each individual location is evaluated and billed separately. An yearly renewal fee will be due at the beginning of each calendar year. In the event of non-compliance of these rules by one or more of the associated restaurants, the VPN Association maintains the right to suspend or rescind the membership on an individual or collective basis.
Conditions and procedure:
In order to be certified by VPN Americas, and thereby become a member of the Association, your restaurant must already be in operation. Currently, individuals or businesses other than restaurant/pizzerias (not mobile oven on truck) do not qualify for membership.
After receiving all the required documentation (see below), a representative of our team will made a preliminary checking whether you have or not the characteristics to become part of the Association. As part of your certification process, you will be visited by a representative of our team who will check the entire process for making pizza, taste the final products and make the decision regarding your certification. The cost for this visit is covered by the prospective member.
Note: applications received incomplete will not take into consideration until the receiving of all the missing documents.
Once certified, you will be a member of the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana based in Naples and you will report to the american delegation VPN Americas. You will receive a plate which may be displayed outside your restaurant in a light box. The sign, together with a member's identification number, will identify your place to the consuming public as a member of the Association. In addition, you will receive a certificate which you should display prominently in the interior of your restaurant showing that you are a member and that the consumer can expect to enjoy Authentic Neapolitan type pizza at your restaurant.
- You will be part of a restricted number of pizzerias bearing the sign of AVPN, showing that your store is making an artisan product following the rules of the Association for the production of a 300 years unchanged product.
- You will receive an AVPN plate and the AVPN handbook.
- Your store will be listed as a link both in the VPN Americas and AVPN Italy website and in any promotion and advertising material in relation with all the association program.
- Every potential customer enquiring to our office will be addressed directly to your store.
- You can utilize the AVPN® logo in your menu, business card, letter head and display your plate inside or outside the restaurant.
- You will be informed of all the activities of the association through a periodical newsletter.
- You will be informed of all the shows, conference and expo (like Pizzafest, Pizza Expo) organized by AVPN or in which we will be present.
- We will give you any kind of assistance in order to be always on top of your pizza production.
- We will periodically inform you regarding any updating of the Merchant Registry list
(list of all the suppliers approved by AVPN).
$ 2000* for the certification (included one full year of membership).
$ 250 yearly renewal fee.
* Excluded inspection fee and Inspector's travel expenses
Please note that multiple locations each require a separate certification, member number and yearly fee. Please contact our office for rates and conditions.